As part of our commitment to continually craft experiential learning opportunities that are applicable to real-world scenarios both today and in the future, our Music Program is always evolving to reflect our vibrant and diverse student body in both an academic sense, and from a socio-emotional perspective. World music, whole body movement, improv, composing and technology (eg. mixing, editing) are just some of the ways students access music at RDS and make it meaningful to them.
- Mr. Fletcher Planert, Music Teacher
Our Music Program is robust, dynamic and culturally responsive in a way that:
- Introduces music in an accessible way, using hand and body gestures (Dalcroze Eurythmics) with rhythm games and movement exercises.
- Builds on a strong foundation of the basics like Solfege (do, re, mi), rhythm syllables, and a child-development approach.
- Helps students pursue their natural talents and passion for reading, writing, and composing music as well as playing with an ensemble.
- Provides experience with ukuleles, guitars, Djembe drums, keboards, and DAW's (Digital Audio Workspaces) for editing, mixing and composing music.
Watch our latest concert here!
Inspired by the Reggio method, artistic inquiry and appreciation for the natural world around us an integral part of our pedagogy.